Monday, April 16, 2007

Ice Kachang

Got scolded by my Punk Rock Merlion coz of my spelling mistake. She and her nonsense.

"It's spelt as ICE KACANG. Have you already forgotten your Malay!!!! You're MALAYSIAN not Singaporean. You've been dating that weird Singaporean for too long" (Yes yes, PRM, i know that's a jab back to my Superstar DJ for all the times he has insulted you!)

When one leaves in a country for too long, she tends to speak, act, think and spell like the people in that country. Eventhough I haven't been here for too long now, I still make that mistake. It's like when in Rome, do wat the Romans do (Let your dogs poo all over the road-- that's my experience with Rome)

Whenever I go back to Malaysia, i feel a sense of 'slowing down' effect where I tend to walk slower, think slower and basically be more laid back. Even my dressing is laid back! The moment i step out of the Malaysia-Singapore bus into the Singapore custom, my heart races faster, i tend to walk faster, look fiercer and feel more stressed. It's a syndrome that I've felt all these years!

In Malaysia, as soon as the place gets a little darker, I get a little more scared. Actually, as soon as I step out of the Malaysian customs, I feel a sense of danger and clutch on to everything with my dear life. I tend to become more suspicious and look forward to getting into my dad's car and quickly locking it up. In Singapore, i can be walking freely at 4am in the morning swinging my bag (ok lah, not THAT blatant) and feel quite safe.

I used to think food in Singapore sucks until I discovered it was coz i was eating out of food courts (which lately has improved much much more) and I think it's coz we Malaysians have a better taste bud since we grew up with really really REALLY good food. Hahaha... I mean, each time I go back to Malaysia, i have to think really hard of wat i wanna eat- not coz there's nothing to eat, but coz there's so many things that i wanna eat at one go. In Singapore, this does happen lah (to be fair) but then just not that desperate to wanna gobble up everything.

The system in Singapore is much more orderly. I know my buses will come almost on time, my cab drivers will follow the meter (for locals lah) and there's a certain set of rules and regulations by which all residents do follow, so you rarely see something extraordinary. In Malaysia ah, there are rules and regulations-- that are always manipulated and broken-- so u dunno wat to expect.

Alamak, since when did this post become a comparison of the two countries!




"Dun lose your ability in Malay(sia). You should never get corrupted!" What an ironic statement, Punk Rock Merlion.... *hint hint*

No comments: